Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Notes from the Music Director 2-7-12

It's funny: every time I go to type "snow", I end up typing "snot" first.  Hm, think there might be a little Freudian thing going on there?  That said, I'm really enjoying the couple of inches we got last night!

It's nice seeing so many "new" faces on Spinitron, and please know that I'm getting your online playlists just fine!  The next spasm of Spinitron training dates should be coming up fairly quickly; when I find out, I'll let y'all know when they are.

A reminder that the "Song Notes" field in Spinitron is for the "#####" number on the white label on front of the CD.  If there is no number under "#####", the number is blacked out, or there is either a smaller label, or NO white label in front of the CD, there's no need to fill out the "Song Notes" field.  There is a notice called "Anatomy of a Playlist" on the bulletin board in the studio if you're not sure what I'm talking about, or, as always, you can give me a shout at the station or drop me an email: music@krza.org.

Also, please be careful with the gold-colored floor lamp in the studio.  It's a halogen lamp, which means that the bulb gets really, really hot.  I was informed by Friend yesterday that drywall WILL ignite if it gets hot enough, and I don't think anybody wants KRZA to burn down!  So just make sure that the lamp isn't too close to the low part of the ceiling or wall when you turn it on.

Okay, enough logistics; let's move on to the fun stuff!

World music folk: B-B-B or Balkan Beat Box is an electronic band from New York that does kind of African-flavored dance music with political lyrics.  Also, if you're feeling adventurous, check out the Concord Soul Sisters: A Black History Month Celebration in the Soul section.  No, it's not strictly "world music" per se...but oh, man, is this good stuff!

Sing It, Sister and lovers of pop music: Ditto on the Soul Sisters CD, and also check out Lana Del Rey, and she's described as a "gangsta Nancy Sinatra". Her voice is ear-catching, a little reminiscent of Stevie Nicks (okay, yeah, I'm dating myself), but whose torch songs are updated to rival Adele's pop style.  Don't let the critics throw you off; "Born to Die" is worth a good listen.


Jazzers: Carmen Lundy has a wonderful, rich alto voice, and her album "Changes" makes for good listening.  Also, if you ignore the tracks that I didn't recommend, you'll love the Zeke Martin Project for it's great, up-tempo modern sound.


Acoustic DJs: I suppose, technically, Shearwater is an indie-rock band, but to my ear, the lead vocalist sounds positively Irish on some of the tracks, so I'll bet you could sneak them in on your show and nobody would know the difference.  Whatcha say? 

Thanks for "listening"!  Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment